November 3, 2008

The Simple Woman Daybook



Outside My Window it is dark. The sun isn't even thinking about getting up yet.
I am thinking about Being Still. Resting in Him. The Lord keeps whispering those words to me...
I am thankful for so very many things. One of the most special blessings of my week was attending a wedding on Saturday evening. It was the first time in my life I've ever danced "in public". That wasn't the special part though. The special part was being able to dance with our 2 oldest sons. It's a memory I'll treasure until I'm old and senile and can't remember their names anymore.
From the kitchen: I need to make granola and another batch of apple butter today.
I am wearing a pair of flannel pj's, a navy blue hoodie and a pair of slippers.
I am creating...nothing at present. I have several projects half started: a quilt for my youngest son, an advent calendar, and 3 scrapbooks. I really need to get busy!
I am going to stay home today and try and scratch off a few things on my to-do list. The problem with that list is that the very second I scratch one thing off, two more things magically appear down at the bottom of it.
I am reading Colossians and A Resilient Life
I am hoping our youngest son is still sick. Don't take that wrong. His piano teacher is supposed to come for a lesson today and he hasn't practiced all week. I didn't know I'd be learning piano with him when we took this on, but I am. I have to sit with him through every lesson and then make sure he practices every day. I was lazy last week and didn't do it and now she's coming. Agh! However, if he's sick, I'll have 7 extra days to help him practice before his next lesson....
I am hearing water splashing around in our aquarium, the hum of the computer, and the keys clicking on the keyboard.
Around the house...there are closets that need organizing, furniture that needs dusting, lesson plans that need to be worked on, etc.
One of my favorite things is getting up while it's still dark outside and the house is quiet. It's the only time I get to be alone and think uninterrupted thoughts. I do wish someone would refill that aquarium though. The splashing water is distracting...
A Few Plans For The Rest Of The Week: Other than the obvious things like cleaning, laundry, cooking, teaching school, ironing, planning a menu, and cleaning out the freezer, I want to help Barrett redo the bulletin board in our kitchen with a "Thanksgiving" theme. I also want to bake something "appley". We have a lot of apples that need to be used before they rot.

Last week I took a day off and went hiking with our 2 younger sons. Just the 3 of us. It was a wonderful day! The weather was perfect for hiking, the leaves were all changing and the colors were brilliant. We laughed and hiked and relaxed and talked. It was so refreshing! Here's just one of the many pictures my son took during the day:

Stop by The Simple Woman if you'd like to participate in the Simple Woman's Daybook.
Posted by Picasa

15 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your Daybook and that's a lovely picture - sounds like you had a great day out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you have your hands full with all the housechores and a sick child. I understand about the music. My daughter took violin and some weeks we went round and round with the practiciing. But she plays professionally now and makes a good living even if it is on the side! Keep plugging! it is worth it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...love that photo! I also am sensing God say the same thing - rest in Me. He knows our hearts and can calm the storms within.

    I'd say go for calling in sick! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your blog banner. It's so pretty and bright. Thanks for sharing your daybook. Your walk looks tempting. I wish we had a pretty place to walk close by.

    Have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I wish I could enjoy some homemade apple butter. It is a fond memory I have from my grandmother's kitchen. She couldn't speak english but she sure could communicate with her kitchen delights!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love staying home on Mondays and kind of regrouping and getting ready for the week.
    I like what you said about the To-Do list. I need to make one. Why is it we can think of so many things we want or need to do while lying in bed waiting for sleep to come.
    The hike sounds like fun. Isn't it rewarding to spend time with children on an individual basis.
    Dancing at a wedding is a great memory. I remember dancing with my son at his. Seems like yesterday but must have been about 17 years.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good morning, Mama Judy!
    Lovely thoughts.
    I love getting up early, too. There something very victorious in beating the sun--the reward is getting to watch the faintest streaks of light grow into the full blazing glory.
    Hope you have a wonderfully productive day! I'm in the mood for one myself. There's a difference between merely keeping your head above the water with what HAS to be done, and actually accomplishing whole blocks of things that needed attention, or having time to do the "extra" stuff that makes life even more special for those around you.
    Like apple butter. :D
    We're down to one last jar at the Avon store........*hint* *hint*.

    Love to you,
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had such a blast at the wedding where I danced more than I have in at least 15 years. The next day (Sunday) I went hiking with the family and the Hanagans...and we just happened to bump into Ben who was hiking with TWO GIRLS!!!! Mike would be proud. :)

    But seriously, maybe it was a coincidence of maybe it was just God reminding me how important it is to have fellowship with the church. We had such a good time with Ben, Alex and Brittney (and I have no idea if I spelled those girls' names right).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so enjoyed reading your daybook today. I think this is the first time I've been to your blog and glad I found you! I'd love to be there for the apple butter making! I just love the smell, to say nothing of the taste! Hope your day is a great one, piano lesson or not!

    Cora

    ReplyDelete
  10. Across the miles, I felt like I was with you today. Miss you. And I loved the photo! Good job kiddo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmm, reading about your little pianist was a comfort to me today. My 7yo is reluctant to practice too, and I realized recently that I also needed to sit with her through every practice. However, this week I forgot until today. Her lesson is tomorrow. So we'll put in an extra practice or two and hope for the best!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gorgeous picture and the hike sounds wonderful! I know what its like to have to practise for music lessons. I take cello and some weeks that lesson comes around before I want it too. Then too, I sat thru scads of lessons when two of our children took violin for years. It was worth it all...even the 'bad' lessons...teach.

    ReplyDelete
  13. apple butter is good on baking powder biscuits!!! yeah i am with you on the sick thing!!hahah have a good week....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Getting up while the house is quiet is one of my favorite times also.
    You have a pleasant blog. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay! I love hearing about what you're up to, Judy! Thanks for sharing! :)

    And I'm so proud of James and Ben for dancing!!! And even moreso - YOU!!!! You danced!!!

    It was a marvelous day! Hope to see you soon! :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.